Friday, March 11, 2011

Pennsylvania Dutch Cabbage


I'm not real big on sauerkraut, but I looooove Pennsylvania Dutch Cabbage.  With less vinegar and more sweet ingredients that kraut, this stuff is great.  I've written up the recipe exactly as it was given to Mom.

From my mother's friend Valery Sahrle to RuthAnn Lavin:  "So Good!  So German!  Enjoy!"

Pennsylvania Dutch Cabbage (Dampfkraut)

Cabbage 4 cups shredded
Bacon 4-5 slices diced
Onion 1 medium diced
1 apple peeled & cored & sliced
2-4 tbls vinegar
Caraway seeds optional

Fry bacon until crisp remove drain half the drippings save.  Saute onion until tender, add cabbage, apple, a little water, vinegar.  Cover to get started, stirring often.  Add bacon.  Cook until brown & golden, remove lid half way through, fry down, add more vinegar to taste if you want it tart-(er)  Add caraway seeds if you like.  I make it ahead if entertaining.  Can do day before, warm 350, 40-60 minutes.
Serves 6-8

No comments: