Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Marinated lamb for subs



I can never get over how many people tell me they don't like lamb.  What's not to like?

One pound of lamb (more or less) makes four decent sized sub sandwiches.  Marinate the lamb ahead of time so the flavor has a chance to really sink in, preferably all day.

Marinated Lamb Sub Sandwiches

1 lb lamb, cubed
3 T olive oil
3 T red wine vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 t oregano
1 t basil
1 T mint leaves, fresh

Olive oil
Vidalia onion, sliced thin
Green pepper, sliced thin

4 sub rolls


Put the lamb and the marinade ingredients into a zip-loc bag and place in the refrigerator, turning several times during the day.  In a saute pan, cook the onions and peppers until soft, and set aside, covered with foil.  Dump the lamb cubes into the pan and cook until browned on all sides.  Serve with onions and peppers on sub rolls.

2 comments:

Shirley said...

I'm thinking that if I have had it, it's been in a Gyro at a restaurant. Isn't that what they normally use? If so, I think it's a great flavor. I've never cooked it myself, because it's pretty expensive in my grocery stores. So, 1 lb of lamb only makes 1 sandwich, correct? What if I sliced it very thin, like shaved. do you think I could get more that way? And if that would work, would you cook it first and then slice? Definitely full of questions today, aren't I? :)

Cyndi L said...

Oh my goodness, one pound for one sub? Nope! I get four big subs from one pound ;-)

It's got great flavor so a little goes a long way. I wouldn't shave it...I'd be afraid it would get all dried out. Just cube it (small) and saute just enough to brown the outside. We like it still pink inside, but that's a matter of taste!