Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Jerk chicken for a crowd



I needed to make a decent amount of Jamaican-style Jerk Chicken for a gathering recently, and using my grill was just out the question.  I suppose that I could have grilled it and then reheated on site, but it seemed like a better idea to just figure out how to cheat that wonderful herbal smoke flavor.

I'm sure you know that there are as many recipes for Jerk Chicken Marinade as there are cooks, and I certainly have my favorite, but I'm usually happy just as long as there is enough heat.  For most of my friends, one habenaro pepper per pound of chicken is just about right.  Maybe throw in one or two extra if you're making a lot.  Let the chicken soak up the marinade for at least 30 minutes, but preferably 6 hours or so.  Then the fun starts!

I made a flavor smoke packet and plopped it in the middle of my 6 quart electric skillet (All-Clad...I love it!). Two layers of foil filled with 1 cup of water-soaked hickory wood chips, a couple tablespoons each of allspice berries, dried thyme, and dried rosemary, also soaked in water ahead of time. Get the skillet hot and plop the flavor smoke packet in the middle, poking with a knife to make a few holes. As soon as it begins to smoke, turn down the heat, add the chicken, cover it, and cook on low until the chicken is completely cooked through. Near the end, you can up the heat to get the chicken more crusty. The time will vary depending upon what parts you use.

No comments: