Friday, October 9, 2009

Applesauce and apple butter


As I already told you, we've got a very good crop of apples this year. Rather than just simply stuffing ourselves full of apple cake and apple dumplings (which we have been doing), I decided to put some of them away for later.

So I've been making applesauce and apple butter until it's practically coming out my ears! It will be worth it in the middle of the winter :-)

I use my large crock pot for making both of these treats. The measurements aren't exact...you've got to taste as you go. I almost never add any sugar to the apple sauce, but I feel our apple butter needs some. Here are approximations of how I make these:



Applesauce

Approximately 20 apples, halved and cored
1 full cinnamon stick

Place all apples cut side down into the crock pot and cook all day on low until the skins will peel easily but before they start to split too much. Let the apples cool and peel them. Put back into the crock pot with the cinnamon stick and cook for several hours more, still on low. Don't bother to process unless you have fussy eaters.


Apple Butter

Approximately 20 apples, halved and cored
1 c brown sugar
1/3 c apple cider vinegar or apple cider (I prefer the tang of vinegar)
2 t cinnamon
1 t cloves
1 t allspice
1 t salt


Start the process the same as for apple sauce until you've peeled the apples. Return the apples to the crock pot and still in the sugar and vinegar. Cook for several hours on low uncovered, stirring occasionally. Towards the end, stir in the spices. Process for smoothness if desired.

No comments: