Monday, January 4, 2010

Mississippi Mud Cake



Ahhh, the Mud Cake!  Many different varities exist, mostly based upon what type of whiskey you add to the batter.  I've used Scotch and Jack Daniel's, but I've also made it with Amaretto.  That is really tasty!




Mississippi Mud Cake

1 c butter
1 T whiskey
3/4 c sugar
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
1-1/2 c water

1-1/2 c self-rising flour (or 1-1/2 c flour with 1/2 t baking soda and 1-1/2 t baking powder)
1/4 c cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 t vanilla

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the whiskey through the water.  Stir and heat until chocolate is just melted.  Stir the flour and cocoa powder together, and beat in the liquid mixture.  Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.  Pour into a 9 inch cake pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 350.  Leave the cake in the pan for 15 minutes and then remove to cool on a plate.

Make a few cupcakes if you only have an 8 inch cake pan.  Bake them for about 18 minutes.

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

come to momma !!!!

Cyndi L said...

Fudgey deliciousness, Kathryn!

SimplyForties said...

I'm forced to drop everything and make this right now. When it's finished, I'll be forced to consume it. I have no self-control as it is and the pictures really pushed me over the edge! Argh!!

SimplyForties said...

Made it, tried it, it's delicious! For what it's worth, in your directions you never say when to add the sugar. Also, if you're supposed to, you don't mention greasing and/or flouring the pan. Thanks again for the recipe, it's a keeper!

Cyndi L said...

Thanks, SimplyForties! It is amazing, isn't it?

The first sentence in the directions tells you to add the first group of ingredients, which includes the sugar. It's a "shorthand" method of notation, so sorry for any confusion. I use a non-stick pan, so I don't do any greasing or flouring. I'm not sure if it's needed with a non-stick or not. What did you use? Did you grease? Probably at least a quick blast with oil spray, I'd think?

SimplyForties said...

I did a quick blast with my Misto oil sprayer and then "floured" with confectioner's sugar. I also ended up substituting oil for half of the butter because I only had one stick last night when I discovered your recipe and HAD to made it right then! It's definitely going into the "keeper" folder!