Monday, February 25, 2013

Tomato-chipotle soup


Now I remember why I'm really ambivalent about dumplings.  Three out of the four of us in our family really hate the mushy, soaky exterior, and even the fourth isn't crazy about it.  It just seemed rude to be scraping off the mushy outside at the table, so I decided we would pass on them. 

And then I got seduced by a recipe.  Well, I thought, they're not really that different from matzo balls, which we all love.

Ahem.  Yes, they are different.  And they're gross.  However, if you like them, I would suggest that you give these cornbread dumplings a try, compliments of Hannaford.  Personally, I will never make them again, but we really liked the tomato-chipotle soup recipe that came with them  That I will be making again!


Chipotle-Tomato Soup

Olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 - 28 oz cans whole peeled plum tomatoes
1 chipotle chili in adobo, plus 2 t of the sauce
Black pepper
1/2 c skim milk
1/2 t baking soda
Parsley (optional)

In a dutch oven, saute the garlic until just softened.  Add tomatoes through pepper and heat.  Use an immersion blender to puree to desired texture.  Stir in milk and bring to a boil.  Lower heat to simmer until ready to serve.  Stir in baking soda just before serving and garnish with parsley if desired. 

No comments: