Friday, February 12, 2010

Creamy vanilla pudding

I learned to make this basic pudding back when I was a kid, and I've never found any reason to mess with the recipe.  Well, sure...I went through that stage of buying sugar free and even low fat pudding mixes, but let me tell you a secret: they're NOTHING in comparison to the real thing.

I'd rather have a small portion of really good pudding than a whole tub full of the packaged kind.  Actually, I'd rather have a rather large portion of this really good pudding...

Creamy Vanilla Pudding

1/2 c sugar
2 T cornstarch
1/2 t salt
2 c milk (whole milk, of course!)
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten in a medium bowl


1 t vanilla
2 t butter

Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan.  Gradually stir in the milk, stirring out all lumps.  Heat over medium low, stirring constantly.  Do NOT let the mixture scorch.  Bring to a very gentle boil for about 1 minute until it thickens.  Remove from heat and gradually stir at least half the mixture into the egg yolks, very slowly, stirring constantly.  Then blend into the rest of the hot milk mixture and return to the stove.  Bring up to a gentle boil again.  Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanila.  Pour into dessert dishes and cool in the refrigerator.  Serve with whipped cream.

No comments: