Friday, September 7, 2012

Swap out junk for solid nutrition



A few weeks ago, David Greenberg from Good Greens contacted me and asked if I would like to try some of their healthy snack bars that they would like to see replace the junky candy bars so many of us turn to during the day.  Well, skeptic that I am, I expected the bars to be marginally edible at best, especially after I found out that most of them are coated in vegan chocolate.  I've had vegan chocolate before and it was gross.  Apparently this was also company founder Keith Pabley's experience, because he made it his mission to create a natural and organic health bar out of green superfoods that didn't taste awful. 

So it turns out I was wrong...these are fantastic.  They use real chocolate, folks.  It might be vegan, but it's got great flavor, no funny aftertaste or weird texture.  Love them love them love them.  You know that I'm pretty much a whole foods kind of girl, and that I tend to stick my nose up at packaged foods of any type.  Well, thanks to chocolate coconut, chocolate mint, chocolate chunk, chocolate peanut butter, chocolate raspberry, and wildberry, now I need to convince my local store to carry Good Greens bars!  

From the Good Greens website:
The bars contain a patented blend of 52 natural super foods, which are naturally dried and minimally processed. These super foods boast a vast array of micronutrients, probiotics and antioxidants to enhance immunity and even combat disease. In addition to their impressive nutritional values, Good Greens Bars are also gluten‐free, dairy‐free, vegan and contain the nutritional equivalent of 100 percent of your daily fruits and vegetables.

Encased within the rich layers of dairy‐free dark chocolate lie a variety of nutritious ingredients including spirulina, one of the highest protein and most phytonutrient‐dense foods on the planet, and camu camu, which packs more than 11 times the recommended daily value of vitamin C in a single teaspoon. In addition, the bar also contains alfalfa, wheatgrass, spinach, pomegranate, ginger and nine types of berries including acai berries and goji berries. These and 45 other nutritionally‐optimal foods can be found within a pocket‐sized bar, making a yummy powerhouse meal accessible at any time or place.

Their dark chocolate coating (wildberry is the chocolate‐free variety) enhances the flavor experience, making Good Greens bars a snack of choice for parents, kids and everyone in between.


As regards FTC disclosure guidelines: I have received a box of Good Greens bars free of charge from Good Greens in order to write a review. I have not been paid for my endorsement as it pertains to the products received.

No comments: