Friday, September 30, 2011

Zucchini fritters



Victory at last!  I don't know why, but I am deeply bothered when there is a vegetable that I don't like.  Zucchini and summer squash both fall into that category, not so much because of taste but because of texture.  They just get limp and disgusting immediately upon cooking.  I know that you can make them into quick breads, but that is NOT eating your vegetables...that is dessert!

So I was really happy when I found this idea: use coarsely grated zucchini instead of potato and make fritters.  Add some wicked fine flavors like oregano and Romano cheese, and your fritters will make a very satisfying dinner.

Zucchini Fritters

2 zucchini, coarsely grated
1 onion, coarsely grated
1 oz Romano cheese, coarsely grated (about 1/2 c)
1/3 to 1/2 c flour (start with less)
1/2 c chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 t fresh oregano, chopped
Salt and pepper
2 eggs
Olive oil for frying

Stir all ingredients together (not olive oil) in the order given.  Drop the mixture by 1/4 c measures into a skillet coated with olive oil.  Fry for a few minutes per side until cooked through.  Drain on a plate lined with a paper towel.  Serve with yogurt, jam, syrup, or plain. 

2 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Funny what people do or don't like. I LOVE zucchini. I love to steam it with vidalia onion in a little butter. When just barely tender I remove from heat, sprinkle with parmigiana cheese and serve on rice. One of my favorite summer suppers.

Cyndi L said...

I may just have to try that, Carol. Since it's only lightly steamed, maybe the texture would be something I could handle :-)