Friday, April 12, 2013

Chili cook-off winner



We have many chili recipes that we already like, but I am of the opinion that you can never have too many.  Sometimes you need it fast and easy, other times you don't mind taking the time to slow cook or braise.  When I saw the recipe for Brian Daddio's award-winning chili, I knew that we were going to have to make it, but change it up just a bit.  If you want to make Brian's version, visit the link above: it's faster than mine and you'll also notice that I cut the recipe in half.

Besides taking longer, mine is a bit spicier since I leaned towards the high side in my "halving" of hot ingredients.  Be warned...his or mine...this is a hot and spicy chili!

Spicy Meaty Braised Chili

2 red bell peppers
Olive oil
1 lb cubed stew beef

1/2 lb hot Italian sausage 
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
3 (14.5 oz) cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes (Brian recommends Hunt's)
2 (15 oz) cans of black beans
1 (7 oz) can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
1 t sugar
2 T fresh basil
1 t cumin seeds
Sour cream for serving

Slice, seed, and roast the red peppers under the broiler until blackened.  Let the oven cool down and reset it for 300.  Peel and chop the peppers and set them aside.

In a Dutch oven, brown the stew meat in olive oil.  When all sides are brown, add about 1 c of diced tomatoes to the pot and cover it with both foil and the lid.  Braise at 300 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Remove the beef and juices from the pot and set aside.  Return the pot to the stove top and add the sausage to brown.  When almost totally browned, add the jalapenos and saute until softened.  Add the beef and juices, red peppers, and all the rest of the ingredients (except for the sour cream).  Stir together and cook over low heat, uncovered, for about 45 minutes to an hour.  Serve in bowls with sour cream.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had at Daddio's award-winning chili, and you are messing with perfection.

Cyndi L said...

My right to do :-) I like my meat braised rather than stewed, and I like things mega hot.

mangiawithmario said...

Hi Cyndi and greetings from San Francisco. I love chili. But I must be careful because it really is a one sided love affair. Chili is art. Chili is fun. Chili is truly a food for all seasons. Great post. I am a first time visitor. Will be back.
I also write a blog about food but with my thoughts on relationships, friends and such. Please visit. maybe follow. That would be cool.

Cyndi L said...

Hi Mario! It's a shame that it is that way for so many people...that one-sided love affair :-( Peppers seem to be the culprit for a lot of folks. I'm off to visit your blog; thanks for the invite!