Thursday, March 12, 2009

Diwali rice pudding



Ok, the first time I made this dish, I scorched the milk in the bottom of the pan! I forgot what a mess milk can make in a very short time. A little baking soda paste and heating later…I was ready to try it again.

I would recommend that if you’ve got a double-boiler you use it. I also experimented with using my crock pot for times when I wasn’t in a hurry. I’ve included both instructions below. But even if you have to suffer through scraping the pot, this Indian dessert is worth it! Traditional Diwali rice pudding is considerably sweeter than I’ve reported below…double the sugar if you want it authentic!

Diwali Rice Pudding

4 c milk
1/2 c long-grain rice
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c raisins
1/2 c almonds, chopped
1 t cardamom

Bring the milk to a boil and add the rice. Lower the heat and cook it very slowly until the rice is creamy. This will take at least an hour. Stir frequently. When the rice is done, stir in the sugar through cardamom. Serve warm or cold.

Crock pot directions: Put warmed milk and the rice into the crock. Cook on low, covered, for about 4 hours. No stirring necessary. Follow the rest of the directions above.

No comments: