Thursday, March 5, 2009

Naan


One of my favorite Indian flatbreads is called Naan; I love it as an accompaniment for stews or saucy dinners. It’s got the perfect shape and texture to sop up the good stuff!

Recently, I started making the dough in my bread machine. When you take the dough out, it’s been through it’s first rising and is ready to form. My first attempt resulted in laves that were way too fat and puffy. I learned from that first experiment to flatten and stretch the loaves much more in future batches! If you don’t have a machine, I’m pretty sure this recipe would be easily adaptable to regular mixing and hand kneading.

Naan Dough for the Bread Machine

1 T peanut oil
1/2 c plain yogurt
1/2 c milk
2 c flour
1/4 t salt
1/8 t baking soda
2-1/2 t yeast

1/4 whole wheat flour for forming
Olive oil or melted butter

Run the basic dough cycle. Remove from the machine and divide in half. Divide each half into thirds. Dust the surface with whole wheat flour and roll each piece into a large flat oval. Brush oil or butter on both sides and place them on parchment paper.

Bake the naan at 450 for 6 to 8 minutes, preferably on the parchment on a pizza stone. Serve piping hot or cooled. Makes 6 naan.

No comments: