Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spinach, feta, rice, and ham


This is an old family favorite that we actually got from Carolina River rice!  About a million years ago, the recipe appeared in magazines quite frequently.  I don't know if they still publish it or not, but here's my version of it.  I like to save some of the spinach and use it as a base for the cooked mixture. 

Spinach, Feta, Rice, and Ham

Olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 c fresh mushrooms, chopped

1 c long grain or brown rice
1 c broth
1 c water

1 T lemon juice
2 t dried oregano
6 c baby spinach (about 1/4 lb)
1 c ham, chopped
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled

Saute the vegetables in a large skillet (with a cover) in olive oil.  Add the rice and stir to coat with oil.  Add the water and broth and simmer covered until liquid is absorbed.  Add the lemon juice through the cheese and toss until spinach is wilted and feta is partially melted.

1 comment:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

This looks really good yet easy. Thanks, Cyndi. My family is enjoying my cooking more since I found your blog ;-)