Friday, October 15, 2010

Beef stew with Belgian beer



I really like beef stews that use beer in their base.  Yes, burgundy is classic, but beer is wonderful too.   Stella Artois is a good choice for this stew, but you can use any amber or brown ale.

Beef Stew with Belgian Beer

4 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 lb boneless chuck or stew beef, cubed
2 onions, chopped
4 c sliced baby bella or cremini mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 - 3 T flour

12 oz Stella Artois (or other amber or brown ale)
2 c carrots, sliced thick
2 c parsnips, peeled and sliced thick
1 c beef broth
2 T Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
Bay leaf
1 t dried thyme
1 t caraway seeds

Cook bacon in a Dutch oven until crisp.  Remove bacon and set aside.  Brown meat (half at a time if needed) for about 5 minutes, removing from pan.  Add onions and saute until tender.  Add mushrooms and garlic and cook until about 1/2 the liquid is gone.  Sprinkle flour over liquid and stir for about 2 minutes.  Add beer, scraping the pan.  Add the bacon, beef, and all the rest of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat, simmering for about 2 hours.  Discard bay leaf.

4 comments:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

That looks so delicious - real comfort food. My stomach is grumbling and there's a chill in the air.

I wish I had made this ahead of time, but I'm printing out the recipe for sure.

Cyndi L said...

I feel like an entire cookbook with nothing but chicken or beef stews would be a possibility ;-)

Rich said...

I also am printing out this recipe. Beef stew season is coming around the bend and, let's be honest, I'll take any reason in the world to incorporate more Belgian beer into my life!

Cyndi L said...

My personal opinion is that you can never have too many beef stew recipes, or too many recipes that use beer in general! You sound like a very very smart man, rich!