Friday, October 22, 2010

In search of the perfect carrot cake


I've made carrot cake several different ways.  One of our favorites is an Amish recipe, but I also like my tree-hugger-earthy-crunchy recipe too.  Still searching for the perfect "stop the presses" version though!

We tried Alton Brown's version, and we liked it, but it was actually too much like carrot bread and not enough like carrot cake.  Very very tasty, but just not what I had in mind.  Sorry Alton, I adore you, but I'm probably not going to do this one again.  I've shared the link though in case you want to try it.

However, after asking around, Linda from MO in the Cooking Light forum shared the world's most perfect recipe for frosting that she got from MasterCook.  This frosting is amazing.  I have always found the traditional cream cheese frosting to be too thick and sweet.  This recipe makes a lighter bodied and slightly less sweet version.



Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting

2 c heavy whipping cream
1 c powdered sugar, divided
8 ozs cream cheese, softened
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
I added some lemon zest

In a medium bowl, beat the whipping cream and half the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, the other half of powdered sugar, salt, vanilla, and lemon zest. Beat smooth and fold in the whipped cream.

No comments: