Monday, March 14, 2011

Apple pie for π Day

π π π  Happy Pi Day!!  π π π


So many recipes for apple pie, so little time to try them all!  With the exception of the insipid frozen apple pies that you can buy in the freezer section, I've never met an apple pie I didn't like.  All that aside, I have been working on and modifying my own favorite recipe for years.  Back in 2002, Ina Garten shared a recipe that became my staple for quite some time.  That is, until Alton Brown came along a convinced me to modify it somewhat again. 

So here is my current version.  It is not their faults, either of them, if you're not nuts about my pie ;-)

And for your entertainment on this glorious Pi Day, don't miss the video I posted last year!

Apple Pie

Approximately 5 - 6 apples, in this mixture:
2 Granny Smith, 2 Braeburn, 1 Honeycrisp, 1 Golden Delicious

1 lemon, zested
2 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c flour
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t allspice

Double piecrust

Prepare your pie dough and refrigerate it until ready to roll.

Peel, halve, and core the apples.  Cut each half into 6 equal slices.  Combine the apples with the other ingredients in a large bowl and set aside to drain a bit.  Roll out the bottom crust and ease it into a deep dish.  Fill the pie with the apples, placing them carefully in a spiraling pattern rather than just dumping them in.  Pour drained juices and spice mixture over the top.  Top with the second crust and crimp the edges.  Slash the top or use a steam release bird.  Bake on a baking sheet at 400 for around an hour or a bit more.  Cover the edges of the crust if it browns too much.  The juices should be bubbling out when the pie is done.

2 comments:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Is it really pi day? The video is really clever. Thanks for the recipe. Like you - I've hardly ever met an apple pie I didn't love.

Cyndi L said...

Yup! It's 3.14 :-)