Thursday, February 19, 2009

Maryland crab soup



When we went to Winterfest in Ocean City, MD, this year, I had an amazing bowl of Maryland Crab Soup. Since then, I've been working at recreating it. I think I've gotten it just about as close as it's going to get. I've got some optional ingredients listed in this recipe, because I think everyone has a different idea about what makes a perfect soup. I like mine thick and stew-like, so I added some tomato paste.

Maryland Crab Soup

28 oz can stewed tomatoes
2 c beef broth
1 c baby peas
1 c corn kernels
1 c carrots, sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 T Old Bay Seasoning
2 t Worcestershire sauce
12 oz Crab meat
Water or tomato paste as needed
Tabasco sauce

Put tomatoes through seasonings into a pot. Heat to simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the crabmeat and simmer 10-15 minutes longer. Add water or tomato paste as needed. Serve hot with Tabasco on the side.

No comments: