Saturday, June 13, 2009

Baked hominy


My darling has told me many many times about how much he hated hominy as a child. His family moved to Tennessee for a year when he was in upper elementary school, and many of the foods served for school lunches were unfamiliar to him. Once he found out it was just a corn product, he thought that maybe he didn't like it simply because it had been unfamiliar.

I took it as a personal challenge to see if I could fix hominy in a way he would find appealing. I didn't grow up with it either, so I didn't really have any preconceived ideas about what it would be like.

Well, when I first opened a can (Goya brand), the appearance was a bit off-putting. If I were the type of person who ate with my eyes, that might have been it. But it tasted pretty good to me, even if a bit bland. It has that alkaline kick that you expect in Latin corn products, and I liked it. And so did my darling, after I doctored it up a bit!

Baked hominy


2 - 15 oz cans of hominy, white or yellow (I used white)
4 oz can green chilies, chopped
Salt and pepper
1/2 c sour cream
1 c Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

Drain and rinse the hominy. Grease a casserole dish and layer the ingredients as follows: 1/3 hominy, 1/2 chilies, salt and pepper, dots of sour cream. Repeat layers, ending with a third layer of hominy. Top with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments: