Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lime and basil shortbread


Last month, I was all about Lemon and lavender shortbread. That's because the lavender was blooming in our garden :-) Now that it's past, I've turned my attention to other taste combinations, and one that I really like a lot is lime and basil. We've still got basil coming in strong, so I'll probably be making this several more times this season.

I used my favorite basic shortbread recipe again this time, and added in the clipped herbs and lime zest.

Lime and Basil Shortbread

1 c butter
1/2 c confectioner’s sugar
1/4 t vanilla extract
Lime zest grated from 1 lime
1/4 c fresh basil, chopped
2 c flour
1/4 t salt
1/4 t baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the vanilla. Stir the lime zest and the basil with the dry ingredients, and stir them all into the butter mixture. Pat it into a square or round pan. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes. Slice the cookies while still warm. Allow to cool completely.

No comments: