Monday, April 13, 2009

Cauliflower with nutmeg


Everywhere I go, people are talking about this delicious combination! My mother mentioned it to me first, and since then I’ve heard many references to it. I’ve come up with a couple of cooking variations so that if you’re in a big hurry you can cut some cooking time off the process. The full-blown slow roasted version tastes the best to me, but the others are quite acceptable!

Cauliflower with Nutmeg (slow-roast version)

Full head of cauliflower (I like the orange variety for this)
Olive oil
Nutmeg

Put a few T of olive oil into the bottom of a baking pan and sprinkle it with nutmeg. Cut up the cauliflower and place the pieces in the pan, turning them to coat with the oil. Cover and cook at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover, stir and cook for an additional 30 minutes.

The Hurried Versions

Microwave or steam the cauliflower ahead of time until just starting to soften. Put into a ziploc bag with the oil and nutmeg and store in the fridge until ready to cook. Cook for 30 minutes uncovered at 350, or stir fry for an even faster finish. OK, it’s not roasted, but it’s still pretty tasty!

No comments: