Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Salisbury steaks


Was "Salisbury steaks" just a fancy word for thin, flat hamburgers in your house?  My association comes mostly from the very rare TV dinners that my brother and I had when Mom and Dad were going out.  They were kind of yucky.

Well, I've learned new appreciation for the humble Salisbury steak by making them myself.  Not that I had any intention of buying them pre-made, but it had just never occurred to me before to serve them for dinner.  This very basic recipe can be fancied up as much as you'd like.  Instead of plain rice, I used some leftover pilaf, which included some bell peppers.  Experiment with the ingredients, just keeping the basic balance of ingredients.

Salisbury Steaks

1-1/2 lbs ground beef
1 c onion, chopped
1/2 c rice or other grain, cooked
Egg
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

2 c mushrooms, sliced

2 T Worcestershire sauce
15 oz beef broth
1 T cornstarch

Mix the ground beef through the salt and pepper together in a bowl and divide into 6 large flattened patties.  Cook at low-medium heat in an electric skillet or large skillet in olive oil, 5 minutes per side.  Remove the patties.  Raise the heat to medium and saute the mushrooms for a few minutes.  Add the liquids and bring to a boil.  Add the cornstarch and mix in well.  Place the patties back in the sauce and heat thoroughly, reducing the sauce a bit. 

1 comment:

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

I love salisbury steak:) got it bookmark! thank you.