Friday, September 17, 2010

Warm broccoli salad


My sister-in-law's aunt makes a cold broccoli salad that all of them love.  It's got bacon in it, so what's not to love?  The only problem for me is that it features mayonnaise, which I can't eat, so I played with it a bit to replace the mayo with yogurt.  I also decided to steam the broccoli slightly, since many people find it a bit easier to digest.  And as long as I was changing everything else, I sauted the onions in the bacon grease rather than leaving them raw, and served it warm instead of cold.

So basically it's now a completely different dish.  Oh well.

Warm Broccoli Salad

2 heads of broccoli, cut up

5 - 6 slices of bacon
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 c yogurt
2 T sugar
2 T red wine vinegar
1/2 c cheddar cheese, shredded

Steam the broccoli for 5 to 7 minutes.  Fry the bacon and remove from the pan to drain.  Saute the onions in some of the grease.  Mix the yogurt, sugar, and vinegar in a cup.  Add the onions and stir in.  Sprinkle the broccoli with the shredded cheese and top with the yogurt sauce.  Crumble the bacon on top of individual servings. 

No comments: