Monday, November 8, 2010

Carrot cake


I have long been in search of the perfect carrot cake and frosting.  The frosting is especially problematic for me as I've got a real slime-aversion.  Most cream cheese frostings, with additional butter thrown in, are just too thick and sweet for me.  But I found what is for me the perfect frosting, and now I think I've also come up with the perfect cake.  It's ok with me if you prefer a different version...there is always room for another carrot cake!

Carrot Cake


2-1/2 c sliced carrots
2 cans (12 oz) apple juice concentrate 
1-1/2 c raisins
2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c wheat germ
2 T baking powder
2 T cinnamon
1/4 c vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 T vanilla
3/4 c applesauce

Use food processor to coarsely grate the carrots.  Add the raisins and 1 c of apple juice concentrate to the bowl and process a bit more.  Pour into a large bowl and add all the ingredients in order, stirring in.  Pour into a prepared 13 x 9 inch pan.  Bake for 55 to 60 minutes at 350.

Cream Cheese Frosting link

No comments: