Monday, November 22, 2010

Homemade Oreo cookies


I experimented around with various "Oreo Cookie" recipes, including the one from More Top Secret Recipes until I felt that the flavor was about as good as it was going to get.  The picture above is actually from an earlier batch that didn't quite make the grade, but was still quite tasty in its own way.  The recipe below is the one that finally satisfied me.  Using Duncan Hines instead of another brand led to a more elastic dough, which meant smoother edges and thinner cookies.  This is one of those times when I break my own rule about not buying packaged mixes or using shortening...

Homemade Oreos

18.25 oz package of dark fudge cake mix (I think Duncan Hines came out the best)
1/3 c water
2 T shortening

In a large bowl, sprinkle the water over the cake mix and cut in the shortening. Use your hands to mix it very well, kneading until the moisture is evenly distributed. Place the dough in the fridge while you make the filling. Preheat the oven to 325 and cut parchment for your cookie sheets.

Filling:
1-3/4 c powdered sugar
1/4 t vanilla
1/4 c shortening
1-1/2 T hot water

In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients together by hand. Place filling in the fridge while you bake the cookies.

From the cookie dough, dip out balls of approximately 3/4 inch. Roll them round and use the bottom of a glass (sprayed with oil) to flatten them to around 2 inches across. Place on the prepared cookie sheets and bake as follows: Bake 6 minutes, remove and cool on the sheet. Flip the cookies over and bake 5 minutes, remove and cool on the sheet. Flip again and bake 4 minutes. Remove and press cookies down slightly with fingers, or else with a tool to create a pattern. Remove cookies when cooled.

From the filling, dip out balls of approximately 1/2 inch. Place in the middle of a cookie (the bottom side), and use another cookie to gently press and spread the filling. Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies.

2 comments:

Rich said...

Oh yes, I am imagining myself enjoying these as we speak. My favorite part is still the filling and ... uh oh, my co-workers are looking at me funny.

Cyndi L said...

My final batch came out so crisp that we were able to screw the cookies apart and eat the frosting first...the proper way ;-)