Friday, November 12, 2010

Rye bread


I've been searching for awhile for a rye bread recipe that works well in my bread machine.  I've never had problems with rye bread when I've hand mixed and formed it, but I was having flop after flop when I tried to adapt it for my bread machine.  It tasted great, but always seemed to form a big air bubble and collapse on top!

Finally, here is one that worked well, tasted great, and made a very pretty 1.5 lb loaf:

Rye Bread

1-1/4 c water
1 T butter, softened
2-1/2 c bread flour
3/4 c rye flour
2 T dry milk powder
2 T sugar
1-1/2 t salt
1 t caraway seed
2-1/2 t yeast

Use the basic setting and choose a light or medium crust.

4 comments:

Rich said...

Rye bread is so critical to so many good things in life - specifically the reuben sandwich - and I've never had success with it. But I've never tried your approach, either! I will give it a shot!

Cyndi L said...

Yes, *especially* for Reubens!!

Anonymous said...

I love rye bread, maybe i will use this when i borrow my neighbors bread machine.. can you believe this guy has more kitchen gadges than i do??

Cyndi L said...

Oh that's too funny...especially with the all the gorgeous food you make. But seriously, I never thought I "needed" a bread machine until I started to use one ;-)