Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Creamed greens



Lots of people go nuts for creamed greens.  I guess I'm just not one of them.  I made this dish, using kale and chard, and it was good, but...

But I felt like I had somehow wasted two bunches of perfectly good greens.

Still, if you like creamed greens, here's how I did it.

Creamed Greens

Bunches of greens: kale, collards, chard, spinach, or whatever
Onions, shallots, garlic

Butter
Flour
Milk
Heavy cream
Nutmeg
Nuts (optional)

Steam the greens until wilted.  Set aside.

Melt the butter in a large pot with a cover.  Saute the onions, shallots, and garlic until tender.  Add more butter if needed and make a white sauce with flour and milk.  Add cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.  Stir in the greens and heat through just before serving.  Add nuts to individual servings. 

No comments: